Looking for a dazzling, inexpensive centerpiece or table display? This marshmallow topiary tree is everything we love in a craft project: fast, fun, impressive, and cheap! It’s less expensive than a batch of cookies. It lasts. It’s beautiful. And you can have a lot of fun getting creative and making your topiary tree into your own unique masterpiece. It’s another perfect craft-night project you can enjoy with family and friends of all ages. Everyone will love making this mini-Christmas tree.
This post contains some affiliate links.
Marshmallow Topiary Tree Supplies
Styrofoam cone in 6”, 8”, 10″, 12”, 16″ to use as base for topiary tree
Mini marshmallows for smaller size (and to add texture to larger size)
Regular size marshmallows for medium size and larger.
Jumbo size marshmallows for 16″ only.
Cake stand, plate, candle holder, or small decorative bowl to hold and display your tree
Hot glue gun (if non-edible version)
Karo syrup (if edible version)
Protective table covering
Shop 13.5″ cones:
Shop 7.25″ cones:
Variety of 2-6″ cones below:
Optional Topiary Tree Decorating Supply Ideas
real or faux evergreen pieces
real or faux leaves, any variety
candies of all kinds
small candy cinnamon red hots
dried citrus slices
Shop festive red mixing/serving bowls and red ceramic ramekins below:
Before You Build Your Mini Topiary Tree
Step One: Decide if you want your topiary tree to be edible or not. This will determine what you use to secure some of the decorative pieces, either hot glue (which is easier) or Karo syrup.
Step Two: Choose the size you want to make.
Step Three: Gather all your supplies and set up your craft table to work.
Tip: Don’t forget to turn on your favorite Christmas music to put everyone in a festive mood.
Tips Before You Start
If you’re creating a 6″ topiary tree, you’ll use mainly mini marshmallows.
If you’re creating an 8″ or 10″ tree, you can use a combination of both regular and mini marshmallows.
For a 12″ tree you can see here how I created mine with a base of regular marshmallows, adding mini in between.
For a 16″ topiary tree you will want to use mega marshmallows.
When using mega marshmallows, you might want to cut them in half. Otherwise, they stick out a bit too much.
Depending on the age of the children, parents might want to help.
We recommend breaking the toothpicks in half and putting them in the cone for young ones.
They can have fun adding the marshmallows and decorating their marshmallow topiary tree.
Team up with children to make it easy and fun for all.
Get super creative and provide all kinds of choices to add whimsical touches to their mini Christmas tree.
Think gingerbread house: candy, colorful, and fun.
Children love the chance to create.
Now Let’s Build Your Marshmallow Topiary Tree
1. Start from the bottom of your topiary tree and work up. Break toothpick in 1/2 for regular size marshmallows (or it will stick out). Push pick into cone with slight angle upward (so marshmallow won’t slide off).
2. Push regular size marshmallow onto toothpick. Don’t push too hard. You don’t want the toothpick to poke out the end.
3. Continue putting in marshmallows all the way around the cone until no space is left.
4. Before adding your next row of regular marshmallows, add a few mini marshmallows. Use full toothpicks and scatter a few in between the spaces so that the mini marshmallow takes up the space left between the regular marshmallows.
Tip: The goal is to create a slightly irregular pattern. You want your tree to look a bit organic, not 100% perfect, so scatter those mini marshmallows so they aren’t exactly even.
5. Add your next row of regular marshmallows, so the row lines up with the part where the marshmallows of the meet rather than directly above each marshmallow.
6. Repeat the next rows in the same way, adding a few mini marshmallows in between and then doing the same for the next row.
7. Go all the way to the top of your topiary tree until you have covered the entire foam cone with marshmallows.
8. Next, it’s time to get creative with your decorations. We recommend starting with adding your greens. Whatever you want to add for greens… leaves or evergreens.
9. Add decorative pieces for color. I used cranberries for mine, but feel free to use whatever you want.
Shop Versatile Display Stands:
Create Family Togetherness with this Topiary Tree Craft
What a fun craft project to get everyone in the festive holiday mood. This is a great project to bring families or any group together.
We love the idea of creating your topiary tree in teams of two as a fun option, especially if you have small children joining in. Team an adult and a child together, and everyone can enjoy creating.
There’s no limit to the creativity you can put into these trees, so get those creative juices flowing. If you’ve got a big group, you can give awards when you’re all done.
You get the idea. It’s all about bringing people together, creativity, and having FUN!
Happy Holidays from our homes to yours!
jodie & julie
How to Build Festive Marshmallow Topiary Tree in a Few Easy Steps
Wow friends and family with festive marshmallow topiary tree. So easy and fun to make. Decorate, Display, and enjoy!
The Design Twins
The Design Twins
Success! Now check your email to confirm your subscription.
for our latest DIY's, decor, recipes, and more direct to your inbox!