Table of Contents:
- Best Tips to Create a Fabulous Tiered Tray
- What NOT to do
- Save on My 3-Tiered Tray and More
- Final Tiered Tray Decorating Tips
- How to Use a Tiered Tray
- Kitchen Island
- Bathroom Counter
- Table Centerpiece
- Cocoa Station or Coffee Station
- Storage and Repurposing Your Tiered Tray
There’s nothing more fun to decorate than a tiered tray. So many possibilities! And its compact nature means you can create a display in no time at all. But to be totally honest, it’s not always easy to create a display. Why? Maybe because the space is so limited. We’ve got good news. We’ve got the tricks to make you a pro.
We are going to share our best tips so every tiered tray you decorate will be fabulous. Ready? Let’s dive in.
This post contains affiliate links. There is no additional cost for you.
Best Tips to Create a Fabulous Tiered Tray
- Choose a theme. Today we are showcasing Valentine’s Day themes, but you can apply our tips to any theme you choose.
- Choose a color scheme. This is even more important than a theme. Cohesion is built most powerfully with color.
- Make sure the style of the tray fits your overall style statement. There are trays available in every style. We’ve provided some of our favorites to shop here in this post.
- Don’t be afraid to add in neutral elements so the eye isn’t overwhelmed.
- Use stackable items and play with height.
- Small plants/greenery are a great item for any tray.
- Check Target dollar spot for mini-items for a great price.
- Create balance on your stand by using repeating items. You can also utilize similar items in opposing direction. This way you feel the balance, but it’s not too matchy-matchy.
- I love something dangling off the tray, whether it’s a string of beads, or a tea towel. This gives your tray an organic feel.
What NOT to do
- Don’t use random colors that clash.
- Be careful not to use elements all the same height. You can raise certain items by building up, just in any decor space. I love to use a stack of saucers or small plates to build in height. How about a mini cupcake stand or a stack of coasters?
- Don’t repeat too much of the same color, or you’ll end up with a boring blast of color. The eye needs a place to rest.
- Don’t overdo your theme. Not everything on your tray needs to be related to your theme. Remember the value of adding neutral elements.
Save on My 3-Tiered Tray and More
If you love my white rectangular tiered tray as much as I do, you’re in luck. Not only is it priced better than we have seen anywhere, but we also have a special savings code to shop.
The online shop is called Hive and Home, and they have so many unique items, all at already-low prices. In addition, when you shop through our link you will save an additional 20% across their shop.
Another example of their decor offerings is the darling wooden heart candle shown above. You will love so many of their decor pieces. Have fun browsing their beautifully curated online boutique, and use our coupon DESIGNTWINS20 or just click the shopping link here.
Final Tiered Tray Decorating Tips
As in anything practice makes better. So don’t worry about perfection. Just dive in and start practicing. The more trays you create the easier it becomes. Pretty soon you’ll feel like a pro.
After you have your tray full step back. Feel free to play. Move things around. It’s kind of like decorating a Christmas tree on a mini scale. You want your colors and repeating items to appear in diagonal balance to each other. If your tray is 3 tiered, you can think of creating triangles.
How to Use a Tiered Tray
Now that you’re a decorating pro, let’s see all the ways we can employ your fun new skills!
- The most common place we see them used is in the kitchen.
- Usually, they are a fun way to decorate an island or peninsula.
- Many are too tall to place under cabinetry.
- If your tiered tray is round, then it will be best optimized out in the open where it is fully visible and accessible.
But let’s think about some other ways to utilize.
- Not all bathroom counters are big enough obviously, but many are.
- Luckily tiered trays come in all sizes and styles.
- We can picture them looking gorgeous holding bathroom essentials in between two sinks.
- A smaller one might fit nicely on the side of a single sink too.
- Follow the style of your bathroom and it will look right at home, while adding welcome display and storage room.
The added height of a tiered tray lends itself naturally to a table centerpiece. It will provide drama to the center of the table. You can fill it with coordinating decorative items as well as items that make sense for your table and the meal.
You can set extra small plates here at easy reach, salt and pepper shakers, small pitchers and more.
How about party favors displayed here? They’ll serve double duty as decor until you’re ready to distribute.
Cocoa Station or Coffee Station
- We love drink stations that are well stocked.
- A coffee station or cocoa station is a great place to express your unique decor style and get creative.
- Tiered trays help you by adding extra storage space to fit your bar area.
- It’s a fun way to add height, drama, and style to your drink station.
This leads us to thinking about all aspects of entertaining. What is a display table without tiered trays? You can use them everywhere holding food, decor, supplies, you name it.
They add visual interest to every table. I have mine pictured here on my coffee table where guests can easily access small plates and treats that I have placed there.
They can be used for indoor parties as well as outdoor entertaining.
Storage and Repurposing Your Tiered Tray
Now that we’ve told you how useful they are, are you counting how many you need to own? Don’t worry.
- Many tiered trays come apart. If you’re does, you’ll want to take it apart to store.
- Even better, you can often repurpose the individual pieces as single trays.
- Remember one of our favorite decor rules: Everything looks better on a tray (or stand).
- Use the pieces as backdrops.
- Use them as stages.
Think outside the box, and you’ll always be able to put them to use in some way or fashion.
10 Valentine’s Day Decorating Ideas
Mantel Flower Arrangement for Valentine’s Day // Craftberry Bush
Paper Heart Valentine’s Day Decor // Finding Lovely
Vintage Elegant Valentines Day Home Decor Ideas // The Happy Housie
Pink Decor In The Family Room // My 100 Year Old Home
Easy and Subtle Valentine’s Day Decor Ideas // Pasha Is Home
7 Simple Valentine’s Day Decor Ideas for a Cozy Home // The DIY Mommy
XOXO Mantel Ideas // Tatertots & Jello
Sophisticated Valentine’s Day Decor // Modern Glam
Tiered Tray Decor Ideas // The Design Twins
DIY Valentine’s Day Heart Wreath // My Sweet Savannah