Table of Contents:
- Why Self Care Isn’t Selfish
- 1. Start Your Day Right
- 2. Self Care: Get Active
- Benefits of Exercise:
- Alternative Ways to Get Active
- 3. Have a Self Care Spa Day or Evening
- 4. Spend Time Outdoors
- 5. Spend Time Doing the Things You Love
- 6. Set Aside Some Alone Time
- 7. Self Care: Treat Yourself
- 8. Practice Self Care: Journaling
- 9. Take a Break From Technology
- The Importance of Self Care
how to make self care a priority in your life
Hey Friends! Welcome back to our blog. In case you are new here, we are Jodie & Julie, The Design Twins. We are passionate about all things home decor, budget decor, DIY projects and lifestyle inspiration. We all need extra self love and self care to make it through these challenging times. Self care is always important, and more so right now.
As women we are constantly catering to the needs of those around us, but it’s essential we take care of ourselves. We’re here to give you some self care ideas to help you do more than just survive. We want you to thrive.
Why Self Care Isn’t Selfish
There are many reasons why self care isn’t selfish. First of all, taking care of yourself will allow you to be available to help others. If you nurture yourself it will radiate to others. If you’re depleted and worn out you will have nothing left to give. Ever heard the saying, “You can’t pour from an empty cup?”
When we take time to love ourselves and nurture ourselves mentally, physically, and spiritually then we have more to give the world. Self care isn’t selfish. It’s the opposite.
1. Start Your Day Right
A great way to practice self care is by starting your morning right. One of our favorite books is called “The Miracle Morning” by Hal Elrod. We even have an entire blog post dedicated to how this book can change your life. Be sure to check it out if you are interested in transforming your life. The way you begin your day has a profound effect on the rest of your day.
Jodie and I love starting our day on a positive note. This allows us to center your mind and soul first thing in the a.m. It sets the tone for the rest of your day. This may mean getting up 30 minutes earlier than normal, which isn’t so bad when you think about all the benefits that come with. Elrod’s method is comprised of 6 simple habits to practice each day that will make every morning feel like Christmas morning. Can’t get any better than that, right?
2. Self Care: Get Active
Everyone knows the crazy benefits of staying active. Even if you simply take a quick walk around the neighborhood or do a few squats, it’s better than nothing. You might say, “Oh, I don’t have time to workout. I’m just too busy.” But, if you make it a priority the rewards are nothing short of amazing. Just 15 minutes can boost your mental and physical health.
Prioritizing exercise is prioritizing yourself: your health, your mental well-being, your mood, your longevity…it’s all tied together. Simply put, exercise is life giving. If you feel sluggish and un-energized before a workout, it’s a good sign working out could increase your energy. After a workout, I always feel so much more energized and ready to conquer the rest of my day. If you can, try to workout in the morning, so you can experience those benefits all day long.
Benefits of Exercise:
- can decrease feelings of anxiety, depression & stress when done regularly
- good for strengthening your muscles and bones
- increase energy levels
- aid in weight loss
- reduce your risk of developing chronic disease
- improve brain function and memory
- helps with sleep and relaxation
- can reduce pain
Exercise is a powerful and important act of self care and an active way of showing yourself that you care…active self love.
We’ve been loving YouTube as a resource for at-home, no equipment workouts. We especially love the channel, MadFit. She specializes in quick at-home workouts that are great for all levels. She uploads new videos frequently and always has a variety of workouts available, from dance workouts and strength training, to HIIT and cardio. Be sure to check out her YouTube channel next time you go to workout.
Another great channel we love is POPSUGAR Fitness. They have lots of fun workout videos for every level and preference. They have a variety of workouts including dance, kick boxing, and barre. Most of their workouts are 30 minutes or longer, so this resource is great if you like longer workouts.
Alternative Ways to Get Active
- walk around the neighborhood
- go for a swim
- ride your bike
- jump rope with your kids
- hike with your family
- play outdoor sports
- roller skate
- practice yoga
- garden work
- jump on a trampoline
3. Have a Self Care Spa Day or Evening
You don’t have to go to the spa to have a relaxing experience. Create a similar experience right at home.
- Set up your little spa retreat in your bathroom.
- It’s fun to do this as a mother-daughter bonding day as well.
- Or enjoy some couple time with your significant other.
Ideas for at-home spa time:
- manicures and pedicures
- back or foot massages
- facial mask
- bubble bath
- read a book
- play Zen music
We deserve to be spoiled every once in a while.
4. Spend Time Outdoors
Yes, outdoor time qualifies as self care.
- If you aren’t spending at least 30 minutes outside each day, you need to start.
- Vitamin-D and fresh air is so beneficial to your mental health and can help to clear your mind and rejuvenate your spirit.
- Grab some sun glasses and a refreshing drink and sit out on your patio for 30 minutes. Trust us.
- If you have a dog, take them for a walk.
- If you have kids, play with them outside.
- It’s good to just get a change of scenery as well.
- If you are cooped up inside all day, it’s will take a toll on your well-being.
5. Spend Time Doing the Things You Love
Make it a goal to do something you love every day. I know that might sound obvious, but it may surprise you to realize how many days you miss out.
You need to make time for not just the people you love, but the activities and hobbies you love. Work to incorporate the things you love into your life. Once the habits are established it will become a way of life.
When you nurture your passions you nurture your soul.
You deserve to do the things you love. Life is just too short not to.
6. Set Aside Some Alone Time
Everyone needs a little alone time. It’s not selfish. It’s essential.
Carve out 30 minutes somewhere in your day to reset and recharge. This is especially important if you are around people all day long. Sometimes, you just need a little alone time.
Some Ideas to Consider:
- read a book
- take a walk
- watch your favorite Netflix show
- listen to a podcast
- download an app to help you meditate and relax like Calm
- this app is designed to help you get to sleep easier
- equipped with guided meditation and mindfulness exercises to destress your body and mind
- another awesome help for mental health/online counseling is Better Help.
7. Self Care: Treat Yourself
It’s also important to treat yourself sometimes.
Maybe it’s a new purse, a piece of chocolate cake, a trip to the movies, or a fancy dinner.
Indulge in something out of the ordinary.
Plan it into your schedule.
Plan it into your budget.
Make it a priority. Just like the Loreal commercial…you’re worth it. You can even get your girlfriends involved and have a treat-yourself day or afternoon. It’s fun to have people to tag along in your adventure. Invite them over for a spa, wine or movie night. They will be so excited!
8. Practice Self Care: Journaling
Another great way to practice self care is by journaling. Grab your favorite notebook or purchase a cute new one. If you can, it’s great to start a habit by journaling every day. You can journal about anything you want, your day, a gratitude list, or things you are looking forward to. You probably want to journal first thing in the morning or right before bed. Creating a set time will help you make it a habit. It can be therapeutic to journal about things that are bothering you. Also, it’s fun to read later on and see your progress over time.
9. Take a Break From Technology
- Spending too much time on our phones and social media can become draining if done in excess.
- We recommend setting a timer and spending a certain time on your phone each day.
- Set a timer to keep yourself accountable.
- Stay aware and don’t go overboard.
- Put your phone away and read a book instead.
- Scrolling through social media right before bed and right when you wake up is not a healthy habit.
- Journaling and reading a book are great alternatives.
The Importance of Self Care
Many of us know how to take care of other people and make sure everyone around us is content. But this post was really about showing you how to put yourself first and make self-care a priority. Because if you don’t love yourself, there’s no way you can begin to love other people. You must look inward before you can offer a helping hand.
I hope these words of encouragement persuaded you to do AT LEAST one thing for yourself each day. You will see immense benefits in the way you treat yourself, others and your overall quality of life will improve. It’s not hard you guys. You can do it. Take care of yourself and be your own biggest fan.