Table of Contents:
- Why Restyle?
- Restyle After the Holidays
- Refresh and Restyle: Tips & Choices
- Be sure to make time to visit all of the amazing blogs in the tour:
how to restyle your living room for the new year
Are you ready to restyle your home with The Design Twins? Learn how to choose a theme, tell a story, and bring the wow factor to create rooms that inspire. We’ll show you how to restyle your living room just in time for the new year. Let’s get started.
It’s a New Year filled with exciting possibilities, both in life and decor. We are so excited to team up with an inspiring group of bloggers to showcase our individual takes on restyling our living rooms for the New Year. We hope you will continue the blog tour at the end of this post. You won’t want to miss any of the inspiration to come.
We think it’s important to express your optimism for a fresh start by showing it in your decorating.
When your decor is new and exciting it creates an atmosphere of heightened stimulation.
You can motivate yourself to be more creative and productive in the rest of your life by creating inspired surroundings
The opposite is true as well. When you are surrounded by the same old, ho-hum decor you can feel like your life is in a rut.
We share our easy ideas for swapping out the old and putting a fresh face forward for your best life.
Restyle After the Holidays
Decorating after the holidays is always interesting and has its unique challenges.
The holidays are so full of reasons to decorate: the tree, the lights, Jesus’ birth, holiday gatherings and on and on. We go from an overload of reasons to a void.
Some love this. Others feel a lack of direction. It’s not nearly as clear as the holidays. We must follow our own lead.
- Some choose “winter white”, or a cozy theme.
- Others head straight into spring.
- Some put Christmas away and enjoy the “uncluttered” look for a while.
- There is no right or wrong way to restyle, so enjoy the freedom to follow your mood, even day to day, as we move through this “less is more” time of year.
Refresh and Restyle: Tips & Choices
We are excited to share our best tips and advice to restyle your home for the New Year.
1. Remove Christmas.
- This seems obvious and straight forward. However, there are choices to be made.
- A lot of greenery might stay and be used in different ways. You might have faux evergreens, pinecones or other details that could still be used.
- We like to remove what stands out and does not blend with our styles.
- For example, for some people glitter can work year-round.
- With our farmhouse style glitter really says Christmas.
- Another obvious decision is to remove all the red
- We put Christmas away in stages. For one, it is a big job. But spacing it out over a span of days allows the decisions of what must go and what might still work to become clear.
2. Choose a Theme for Your Restyle.
- Choose the direction you want to take your restyle. For today: Follow your mood. You can always evolve as your mood changes or as ideas come.
- For example, we chose winter whites and neutrals with pops of black for contrasts. We don’t usually like “sea of white.” We prefer white and neutral to stand out against a contrasting backdrop of some kind. That’s just our style.
- Uncovering the black kitchen table was a great start. Adding the black and white geometric pillows on the couch brought this effect to the middle of the space.
3. Refresh with Wow.
- Christmas is a whole lot of WOW! The aftermath can be a letdown.
- We really do love the feeling of less after the mass decor display present during the holidays.
- However, we like to add some kind of “wow” to bring life back to our spaces. Jodie achieves this with flowers. Usually Jodie heads to Trader Joe’s for affordable floral choices.
- This time it was a little different. Keep reading for more details about these amazing flowers.
4. Restyle and Add Interest.
- Besides wow, the best decor tells a story.
- How do you make your decor interesting?
- We love to add antiques. They tell a story with their past. They have built-in character and tons of charm.
- Jodie achieves this with an old cloche showcasing vintage salt & pepper shakers, a pile of antique breadboards, and antique soup tureens.
Side Note: Now, you may look at these incredible floral displays and wonder why or how she spent so much on these fab arrangements. Well, Jodie’s home was photographed for Cottages and Bungalows Magazine, so she had a wonderful florist provide all the gorgeous arrangements you see in these photos. After the photo shoot it was a magnificent time to repurpose the heck out of them.
Flowers provided by Sheela @sarahsgardendesign
5. Restyle and Make it your own.
- We love to make our homes feel uniquely ours, right? So, let your own personality shine.
- Get ideas and inspiration from everywhere, and then make it your own.
- We love to use custom pillows to express ourselves.
- We also love to add fun details to things we have bought to make them special.
- The chandelier over Jodie’s table got a holiday touch with evergreens and red ribbon.
- Instead of taking it all away Jodie decided to just remove the red.
- Add your little touches throughout your home.
- Have fun and don’t be afraid to make your own rules.
6. Begin with a neutral base.
- Jodie and I find it very helpful to start our decor with a neutral base.
- Most of our furniture and walls present a neutral palette which allows us to “play.”
- We have a lot of flexibility to style and restyle because of this.
- It’s is not a rule, but it is one thing we recommend.
- This is especially true if you love to change your decor. We like to restyle based on season and even mood.
- Our furniture needs to be flexible for our changing decor habit.
- We simply change out the details. Swap throws, pillows, flowers, dishes, linens, the little things, and voila. We have a whole new look.
What changes will the New Year bring you? We love a fresh start, and we believe attitude is everything. So why not refresh and restyle your surroundings in little (or big) ways? It just might provide that push you need to make positive changes flow through the rest of your life as well. Cheers to your best year ever.
Now please join our other wonderful decorators on the blog tour (links below). We are certain they will inspire you with all their artistic restyling and clever ideas. Enjoy!
Be sure to make time to visit all of the amazing blogs in the tour: