Table of Contents:
- Choose a Theme for Your Christmas Table
- A Natural Table is a Versatile Table
- Save on Paper Scrolls, Runners & More!
- Create a Statement with a Printed Paper Runner
- Recycle, Save Money, and Reuse Year After Year
- Make a Statement with Contrasts
- Natural Table Elements
- Elegant Christmas Table Elements
- Think of Your Christmas Table as Building Layers
- Candles Add a Special Elegance to your Christmas Table
- How Can I Make My Christmas Table More Elegant?
- How Can I Use Candles and Lighting to Enhance My Table Decor?
- How Can I Use Candles Safely on My Christmas Table?
- How Can I Use Fairy Lights on My Christmas Table?
How to Design a Rustic & Natural Christmas Table
This post will help you create the perfect table for any occasion. Become inspired to create a natural Christmas table or any other table you choose. I take you step by step through the process of choosing and putting together a table. I help you get organized and understand all your options so you can easily create special table decor for every season or event.
This post contains affiliate shopping links that provide small commissions for us. They add no additional expense for you.
Choose a Theme for Your Christmas Table
There are so many ways to decorate and so many styles to choose from.
As a decorator I always begin with a theme.
The theme can be as simple as identifying a color scheme.
Or you can focus on a style statement.
For this table I decided on the style first. I chose the theme: Natural Elegance.
A Natural Table is a Versatile Table
When you choose natural elements, it is so easy to evolve your table from one season to another.
The basic elements of this table can be used for Thanksgiving, Christmas, and throughout the winter. Evergreen garland, picks, and wreaths are a wonderful, reusable look that can be the foundation practically year-round.
The natural greenery can be dressed up or dressed down depending on what you add.
You can use real or faux greenery. I often use faux because I keep my tables decorated for long periods of time. But for unique events real greenery is lovely.
Save on Paper Scrolls, Runners & More!
I love using printed paper scrolls in my home. I have them on walls all over my home and enjoy easily changing them out for each new holiday and season.
We have a limited-time savings coupon code!
Use THEDESIGNTWINS to save on my favorite printed craft paper runners and scrolls.
Follow our friend Bea on Instagram @zoandjordan and use our coupon code to save on many of her shop items, which include a well-curated selection of farmhouse decor items. The 2-tiered trays I display in my home are from her shop. She’s always adding new pieces too.
Create a Statement with a Printed Paper Runner
This Christmas I decided to add one of Zo and Jordan’s paper runner to make a fun statement on my table. Isn’t this one darling? I added a roll of black and white buffalo check wrapping paper (29″ wide) behind the craft paper runner to go with my farmhouse theme.
It’s a great way to change up your look each year by adding a different wrapping paper. Just make sure you get a roll that is wider than your scroll so it shows.
Shop seasonal paper scrolls and table runners below. We carry them year round in our blog shops under wall decor and Christmas.
Recycle, Save Money, and Reuse Year After Year
I really am a practical girl.
I like to use and reuse.
I’m not kidding when I tell you I’ve been reusing the same Christmas boxes, tissue and Christmas bags for 15 years. Some of you don’t believe me, but ask my family. The bags all make us laugh now. They hold many memories. You can see different tags from Christmases past, and they just make us giggle.
So, you know it’s important to me that this decor is cost effective and reusable.
The best part about this table is that everything is reusable. When you’re done with your table reuse your wrapping paper.
When you’re done with your runner simply roll it back up. Store it in its sturdy tube. It’s safe, perfectly stored, and will be ready for next year.
Make a Statement with Contrasts
I love to make a statement.
What’s even better than making a statement, is making it simply.
I do this by using elements of contrast. For this table, the main contrast is between elegant and natural,
It’s also between black and white.
Natural Table Elements
- Rattan chargers
- Brown linen napkins
- Burlap silverware holder
- Black candleholders
- Brown paper runner
Elegant Christmas Table Elements
- Beautifully detailed white plates
- Sparkling cut crystal stemware
- Lit candles
- Silver flatware
Think of Your Christmas Table as Building Layers
Build from the bottom up.
- Begin by deciding if you will use a tablecloth or a runner.
- You can decide to use both.
- Or you can layer several runners, like I did.
- Next, decide if you want to layer placemats.
- Next, choose your chargers. I love chargers so much. I think they add a lot to the look of your place settings.
- Chargers are a good investment because you can use them again and again.
Candles Add a Special Elegance to your Christmas Table
Honestly, if you ask me, no table is complete without candles.
The simple act of lighting candles turns an ordinary meal into something special.
The glow of candlelight is magical no matter what the occasion.
It’s fun to have matching candle holders. But I think it’s equally exciting to have a wide variety of candle holders, tall ones, short ones, fat ones, thin ones.
Play around. Have fun. A beautiful table can be created simply with greenery that fits the season and candles.
How Can I Make My Christmas Table More Elegant?
- I have some lovely copper chargers. I could make the table more elegant by swapping out the rattan chargers for my more elegant copper chargers.
- Candles always make a table more elegant.
- Anything that sparkles adds elegance. So, get out your best glasses.
- Choice of flatware can make a big difference. Antique silver or the new gold or copper flatware adds personality and elegance to any table setting.
How Can I Use Candles and Lighting to Enhance My Table Decor?
Lighting is absolutely key to creating a beautiful tablescape.
Here are some of the ways we love to incorporate lighting into table decor.
- Add candle holders along the center of the table. You can use various styles of keep to the same style.
- If you have all the same size candle holders, I recommend using different “stages” to vary the heights.
- I love to use books to vary the heights, but you can use all kinds of things.
- Use votives to add sparkle and a variation to the candles.
- Use fairy lights to further enhance the sparkle throughout the table.
How Can I Use Candles Safely on My Christmas Table?
When using candles safety needs to be number one.
Safety rules to follow:
- Never leave the room with a candle burning.
- Be very careful that candles keep away from decor.
If you follow those two main rules, you’ll be fine.
But so often I want the sparkle of candlelight all around my house.
Or I’m having guests over and I want candles lit throughout the house.
This is when using faux candles are the answer. You can light candles in the room where you sit and have faux flicker candles everywhere else.
Also, I love to use fairy lights for this same purpose.
How Can I Use Fairy Lights on My Christmas Table?
There are literally endless decorating possibilities with fairy lights.
Some of my favorite ways to use them are:
- Fill a lantern with a strand of fairy lights.
- Drape a strand along a shelf, weaving it around the decor to add sparkle and light it up.
- Add strands of fairy lights to garland.
- Fill a glass bowl with fairy lights and whatever else you want, like ornaments.
- Use them to frame a mirror or any sign or wall hanging.
- Decorate a wall or window with fairy lights.
Creating a beautiful Christmas table is a rewarding way to share your creativity with others. Whether it’s at Christmas time, a special event or a quiet evening with family, creating a beautiful mood with your table decor shows you care. Your family and friends will feel the love you put into your table and all the memories will be worth your efforts.
We hope these photos and ideas inspire you to enjoy the process of decorating even more.
Oh, this post brings me so much joy! I can’t wait to try your tips to set a beautiful table.
Fonya, Thank you so much! We love hearing from you and we are so happy that you enjoyed the tablescape I created. If you take pictures of your table we love it when followers show us. You can send your creations via DM to us on Instagram @julie.thedesigntwins and @jodie.thedesigntwins. Have fun creating, Julie & Jodie
I think this natural table setting is my fave so far! It’s elegant yet down to earth! Well done! 🎄
Aw Gretchen, You’re the best! Thank you for the sweetest reply. It’s one of my favorite tables too! Love how you describe it: down to earth. Right. It’s not pretentious haha. Maybe that’s another reason why I like it 🙂 We love that you’re enjoying our blog sweet friend. Blessings, Julie & Jodie
Oh I just love it! The evergreens are perfect. The layering is something new for me to try! And I would’ve never thought to use books to adjust the height of decor pieces! And that scroll! So creative! I love all of it! Beautifully done!
This is totally my style….simple, yet elegant! I can’t wait to set our table for Christmas!
I’m so glad you can relate to this style. I had so much fun putting this Christmas table together! I’m sure it will look amazing!
Jodie & Julie
What a gorgeous table! I just finished my Thanksgiving setting and am starting to plan Christmas … as usual you two have given me so many beautiful ideas. Your black, white and green theme is amazing … I’m going to heavily ‘borrow’ from your ideas. xo
Such a beautiful tablescape! So much inspiration here.
Love this look! Where did you get your dining chairs? I have been looking some?
So glad you enjoyed my dining room post. I have these exact chairs listed in our furniture blog shop. Since you asked, I just also added a shopping link inside the post. So you can now find them for sale in both spots. I love them, and have used them all around the house. They are great. Happy New Year, Julie
Hi Diana, We have these exact chairs listed for sale in our furniture blog shop. Since you asked I also added a shopping link inside the post. So now they are available in both places. I hope you continue to enjoy reading our blog. Happy New Year, Julie & Jodie
Where can we buy these adorable evergreen topiaries? I just love them. so perfect on your table scape. Thank you, Susan
Hi Susan, I bought these topiaries years ago at a little local boutique. I’ve never had a source or been able to find anything like them sadly. I’m sorry to not be able to help. I’m glad you loved the tablescape though. Blessings, Julie
[…] Farmhouse Christmas table […]